Thursday, April 9, 2015

April 9 - Disconnecting



Many experts say that it is important to disconnect and take time for yourself to re-energize. I have a hard time doing this.

  • I am an email addict. My work email is connected to my iPad and my cell phone! 
  • I dislike getting behind on Twitter or Face Book. I might miss something good.
  • I need to hear my colleagues' voices on Voxer.
  • I LOVE to be on my computer, even to watch shows recorded on my DVR.
  • Yes, I peek at my phone every couple of minutes while driving to see if any notification light is blinking.

Yes, I admit. I have a problem; but I actually excuse it because I have a passion for teaching and learning.

Why am I sharing this? Well, that is a good question. It was not my intent as I sat down to blog today to share my dirty little secrets. I just wanted to share that I was going on a mini vacation with the family so would not be blogging for the next several days.

Then, as if in a counseling session, I started airing my dirty laundry! I could go back and add much more to the list, but I think you get the picture.


I am making a commitment to my family that for the next few days I will:

  • Turn off my phone email notification and only check my email once per day
  • Only go on Face Book to upload photos from our trip
  • Accept that it is OK if I miss things on Twitter
  • Watch my DVR'd shows on my iPad only after the kids have gone to bed
  • Tell me Voxer family that they will not here from me for a few days.


I admit I am not completely disconnecting. I might go insane if I tried. However, I will greatly reduce how much time I am attached to technology. I have a feeling my family will be much happier to have my undivided attention these next several days!


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for you Heidi!! I am trying something similar with my own life. My Unplugging for Easter post talks of my new commitment to unplug for at least 1 day a month. Happy vacation!

    ReplyDelete